Thank you for coming to our 2017 ‘Hope for the Jogini Girls’ events.
We are encouraged by the partnership of amazing people in Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington, Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide who are helping restore dignity and hope to these precious women and girls.
- 342 people attended the dinners (Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide)
- 30 children of Joginis were sponsored (there are still 2 awaiting sponsorship)
- 56 Jogini Women Village Team leaders were funded for the next year
- 4 community health workers were funded for the next year
- $33,000 was raised for the bus (another $15,000 is needed)
For over 2,000 years, young girls have been dedicated to the goddess Yellamma as part of the Jogini practice in parts of India. Girls are ‘married’ to the deity without consent. A Joginis’ duty is to provide sexual favours to men of the village.
We are empowering these women with the goal of seeing the system dismantled.