Join Our International Day of the Girl Campaign!
On December 19, 2011, United Nations General Assembly declared October 11 as the International Day of the Girl, to recognise the unique challenges girls face around the world.
Despite much progress, a child without an education is still much more likely to be a girl than a boy.
Nothing has as much impact on a child’s well-being as their mother’s level of education.
- Educated girls are less likely to be trafficked
- Girls with higher levels of education are less likely to be child brides
- Girls with higher levels of education are less likely to have children at an early age
- Educated girls are healthier
- Educated women are less likely to die in childbirth
- A mothers’ education level impacts their children’s nutrition
- Educated women are more likely to find work
- Educated women are more likely to earn a higher income
- Educated women are more likely to know that they are valuable and have worth.
A girl’s education has a huge impact on all of society. We can do substantially more to help vulnerable girls receive an education.
Approximately 4,000 girls in our schools are currently unsponsored.
This International Day of the Girl, we invite YOU to help raise funds to underwrite this cost.
Every $33 raised supports one girl for one month; every $396 educates them for a year, including academics, nutrition, health care, sports and the arts.
“On this International Day of the Girl, let us recommit to supporting every girl to develop her skills, enter the workforce on equal terms and reach her full potential.“– UN Secretary-General António Guterres
What can you do?
- Sponsor a specific child from our website ($40 per month)
- Help raise funds for unsponsored girls:
- Mufti day at school
- Host a morning tea
- Run a fundraiser using Facebook Fundraisers
- Do a fun run or marathon
- Pledge your birthday – ask people to donate instead of a gift
- Dye your hair – highest bidder decides the colour!
- Take part in a PJ Day
- Host an Art Exhibition or Market
- Hold a fashion show or ladies’ night
- Clothes Swap
- Sausage Sizzle
- Host a movie night – highest bidder gets to decide the movies you watch
Download our International Day of the Girl Tool Kit for ideas to support these special girls.
For more information and ideas, visit us on our Facebook Page